Recently, we’ve been receiving more questions about the social shopping model we’ve developed here on Pikaba. To make a long story short, we suggest you to register and see for yourself what Pikaba has to offer. That’s probably the best way to see how the “model” works.
However, social shopping is not only about us, right? From vibrant local or niche communities, to daily deals, group buys and Facebook/Twitter integration, there are a few other social shopping destinations that worth your attention.
We’re glad to drive traffic to some resources and thus support the shoppers, merchants and developers of these pioneer communities. Hopefully, you’ll find them valuable for your shopping or business development.
In their own words: Wantlet is a service for social shopping. Tell us what you want, and we’ll help you get the best advice and deal!
How Do People Use It?
- Connect to other people by wanting things.
- Get insights on what you really want from your friends, other people who are wanting the same and from businesses that may have a great deal for you.
- Be the hero of the day by helping your friends to find what they are looking for by commenting on their wants.
- Lists of your wants can be shared with your friends or family, helping you to remember what to shop for by using Wantlet on your mobile.
In their own words: ShopSocially, the world’s most trusted shopping recommendation engine, makes it easy and fun to give and get shopping help from friends. Ask shopping questions to friends. Help friends out by sharing your shopping.
Their Concept is Based on:
- Before we buy something, we tend to consult our friends who have bought a similar product.
- After we buy something interesting, we like to share that with our friends to get their comments and reactions.
In their own words: At Silkfair we aim to be the premier e-commerce site for users to buy and sell their goods online. We are always looking to innovate and provide more great features and tools to our users.
Shoppers: Your account allows you to purchase goods from sellers on Silkfair
Sellers: With your Silkfair account you can now setup your own storefront and start selling your goods through Silkfair. Customize your store, add your items and start selling today!
- Easy multi-vendor 1 page shopping cart checkout
- Filterable search
- RSS feeds on stores, listings, blogs and forums
- Fraud prevention with true location and feedback mapping
- Verisign secure SSL encryption for the best in protection
In their own words: Interact in real time while you shop at the friendliest marketplace online. Specializing in everything Amazon doesn’t sell.
Shoppers: Negotiate in real time, browse through hand-picked items, visit a virtual garage sale (we call them “Bonanzas”), or just get wished a happy birthday. Shopping with the friendliest social community online.
Sellers: 33 of 33 of sellers that we asked said that Bonanza was “easier” or “much easier” to post items on compared to other sites they had used. Plus, listing items is free and the final value costs are simple, low, and transparent
- Easily import your items from other sites
- Worry-free automatic listing on Google & Bing
- Post your items in seconds
In their own words: Storenvy is a social marketplace for discovering awesome stuff from real people. Storenvy enables anyone, from the owner of a fashion boutique to a guy designing skateboard decks, to create their own customizable store at no charge and with no programming knowledge required.
Shoppers: Discover new things & make new friends
Sellers: Your own store plus a marketplace
- Search across thousands of stores at once.
- Save a list of the items you love
- Create a free store to sell your own stuff
- Comment and socialize with other shoppers.
Interesting Mobile Features:
- Scan a barcode, search a keyword or take a picture
- Get instant feedback from your friends
- Share products you want, like, or dislike
- Compare prices among thousands of retailers
- Kill buyer’s remorse
In their own words: Milo is local shopping made easy. We search your local store shelves in real-time to find the best prices and availability for the products you want to have—right now.
Retailers: Get your inventory in front of millions.
Interesting Local Shopping Facts:
- 87% of consumers in the United States research products online before buying them in-store.
- Research online buy offline is estimated to be a $1 trillion market by 2011.
- Online research will impact 40% of total US retail sales by 2011. E-commerce currently accounts for only 5% of US retail sales.
- Milo leads the local product search space, searching approximately 50,000 stores across the country.
Veteran Fashion and Style Social Shopping Sites
- Stylehive.com – an online style club for people who live for fashion, design and shopping. It’s where you meet your style muses and follow them as they discover and share their latest finds.
- Kaboodle.com – your guide to the Web’s best products hand-selected by shoppers like you.
- Thisnext.com - the ultimate social shopping destination for discovering the hottest products in fashion, beauty, lifestyle, home, and more.
Social and Local Shopping Giants
- Etsy.com – $39.7 million of goods were sold by our community in March, 2011. 1,083,638,738 page views were recorded on the site in March
- Groupon.com – Women are the primary purchasers of group-buying deals. ComScore reported in their 2010 Women on the Web study that 62% of Groupon purchasers.
- LivingSocial.com – Offers daily deals on handpicked experiences that can be shared with friends. The fastest-growing company in the social-buying category? Will see.
We’d love to hear about what you think makes an ecommerce site “social” or “local” so please comment away!